By Dawn Mentzer – Solopreneur & Freelance Writer
Available time wasn’t a luxury for me when Google made the announcement about the launch of Google Plus Pages. Initially, I felt like I was straggling in not quite getting around to it. But now I’m glad to have been an unintentional procrastinator.
After some opportunity to think (and read) about what a Google Plus page will do for me – and for my solopreneurial micro-business – I’ve decided NOT to set up a page. Let the throwing of rotten tomatoes begin here.
I one-hundred percent agree that the business pages are a game-changer for brands – brands with a business name beyond that of the person who established them. As a solopreneur using my personal name as my brand however, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for me to create a Google Plus Business Page with the exact same name as my personal Google Plus account. I am my brand and – for now anyway – I see no advantage to having two of me on Google Plus.
- My personal profile already shares who I am and what I do professionally.
- Through my personal Google Plus circles, I can pick and choose who I want to share posts with. I don’t need a business page to – if I decide to – spare my friends and family members my small business observations, and my professional circles my bragging about my daughter’s report card.
- I’m showing up in Google searches just fine.
Besides my present state of contentment with the status quo, I’m hard-pressed at present to find the time and energy to maintain yet another online point of presence. Google Plus (personal), Facebook (personal + business page), Twitter and LinkedIn are plenty for this one-man-band solopreneur. If I thought it would make an immense difference in my business potential, I’d be all over it – but right now…today…at this very moment…I just don’t see the value.
Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my mind and withdraw my opinions at any time in the future as events unfold – and then, please circle my business page!
Have you set up a Google Plus Business Page yet? Why or why not?
More on Google Plus Business Pages:
Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Latest posts by Dawn (see all)
- Is Fear Putting The Freeze On Your Small Business Dreams? - March 22, 2017
- 4 Tips To Help Solopreneurs And Freelancers Survive Tax Time - March 13, 2017
- 5 Ways To Screw Up Working With A Freelance Writer - March 7, 2017