What is Fortune Cookie Friday, you ask?
It’s the day when I crack open a fortune cookie and dig deep into the hidden meaning within to glean some small business wisdom.
And then I share it with you (of course).
Here it goes…
Get your goals high and you will always move forward.
(Yeah, sometimes I get lucky. Could this one be any more business appropriate?)
My interpretation from a solopreneur’s perspective: Keep reaching to keep motivated!
Goal-setting is so very important for even the smallest of businesses. Without it, you can become complacent—and, dare I say, lazy.
We need to strive to achieve something every day. We need to take steps toward our larger, overarching objectives. We need to maintain momentum.
“Getting your goals high” doesn’t mean setting yourself up for failure by aiming for the unattainable. It means endeavoring to go beyond your comfort zone so you have to stretch a little.
• Connect with someone on LinkedIn who you’ve perceived as out of your league.
• Write a blog post and ask someone else for constructive feedback.
• Seek out a speaking engagement where you can share your expertise in your field.
• Accept a type of project that you’re capable of but haven’t done before.
Personally and professionally, I find that pushing myself keeps me motivated. As a former gym rat, I equate it to doing “just one more set” on the squat rack.
Never settle for just enough.
By Dawn Mentzer
Another Insatiable Solopreneur™ post
Latest posts by Dawn (see all)
- Is Fear Putting The Freeze On Your Small Business Dreams? - March 22, 2017
- 4 Tips To Help Solopreneurs And Freelancers Survive Tax Time - March 13, 2017
- 5 Ways To Screw Up Working With A Freelance Writer - March 7, 2017