Thrill Ride: Adrenaline Rush of Being a Solopreneur
Earlier this week, I experienced a blast from the past. This video on Facebook is particularly nostalgic for me because I’ve always lived less than a two-hour drive from Hershey, PA (a.k.a. The Sweetest Place on Earth). Being “Hersheypark Happy” as a kid was all about the euphoria that came from riding the loop of the Super Dooper Looper roller coaster and losing your lunch on the Rotor (Sadly, both the lunch AND the Rotor are no longer with us).
Although more tame, being a solopreneur has its thrills, too, doesn’t it? And it should! What’s the point of being in business if you’re not getting a rush of adrenaline every now and then from what you do?
I get mine when…
- a new prospective client calls me.
- a new prospective client emails me.
- a new prospective client contacts me via social media.
- a long-time prospect does one of the above to move forward on a project.
- one of my blog posts really resonates with my audience.
- I start a new project.
- I get an ongoing project.
- a client expresses delight over my work.
- a client becomes a repeat client.
- I connect – really connect – with other professionals whom I’ve met via social media and in person.
- I prepare a proposal.
- I prepare an invoice.
- I receive a payment.
- I get the opportunity to meet new prospects face to face.
- I get the opportunity to talk with other solopreneurs to share challenges and best practices.
- I keep in mind how fortunate I am to have such an amazingly flexible schedule and the support of family, friends, clients and colleagues.
Yeah, definitely not the dips, turns and upside down adventure that is the Super Dooper Looper, but these are the simple things that get me up and motivated every morning.
Now you! What about being in business for yourself gives you a thrill? Please share what gives you your entrepreneurial adrenaline rush!