Why Writing Is So Intimidating—And How To Make It Less Agonizing
I know business professionals who would sooner have a tooth pulled without anesthetic than write a blog post.
Writing intimidates them. It intimidates a lot of people.
Why do many people break out in a cold sweat when asked to write something?
They get caught up in the perceived complexity of writing. In some cases the subject matter might be complex, but writing is a rather straightforward process.
Think of writing as what it is: communicating. Writing is simply putting words together to make a point or inform. Your ultimate goal is to be understood, so take the shortest, clearest path to getting there.
How can you simplify writing to make it less overwhelming for you and easier to grasp for your readers?
- Try to include everything under the sun about a specific topic.
- Use run-on sentences.
- Use long words for the sake of looking smart or reaching a certain word count.
- Rely completely on a spelling and grammar checking software to catch errors.
- Make an outline to identify your main topic and key points before you start writing.
- Reread what you wrote to make sure everything you’ve communicated is relevant to what you want readers to understand or serves to further a key point.
- Remove anything that is off-topic or repetitive.
- Proofread—or better yet, ask someone else to proofread—what you’ve written, so it’s free from embarrassing errors.
Most importantly, realize writing gets easier with practice. As with any skill where there’s room for improvement, you will get better with more effort and experience.
Also, realize you don’t have to do it alone. If you feel uncertain about the clarity and quality of your writing, ask for feedback from someone you trust, or hire a professional writer or editor to help you find your voice and communicate more clearly.
Writing may never be second nature to you, but it doesn’t have to be frightening.
What other writing tips would you give to folks who struggle putting their insight into words? I’d love to hear them, so please share them in a comment here!
More posts you might like:
How Much Should You Pay For Content Writing?
Four Ways To Instantly Boost Your Self-Confidence